Thursday, December 29, 2011

Gluten, Dairy and Egg Free Pancake Recipes




I realized it has been a long time since I updated my blogs, I apologize. Of course, most of us are making New Year's Resolutions and I hope to keep this site and my other, Lulu's Gluten Free, updated more frequently.

Unfortunately, I have many health challenges. I am having difficulty pushing through low energy coupled with working more as well as raising my son and running a household.

The recipe below was one I had hoped to post in the fall, but apples are still plentiful even though my favorite, Jonathan apples are gone. There are many others that are tasty.

If you are looking to reduce carbohydrates, use Granny Smith, these tart apples have the least amount of sugar. Use cooked applesauce if making these for someone below the age of two or peel your raw apples.

I was inspired to make pancakes using fall apples. I also wanted pancakes to be egg free as well. Gluten free pancake mixes tend to be quite expensive although they are easy to use. I enjoy Arrowhead's GF Pancake and Waffle Mix. The addition of corn flour gives a delicious crisp to the finished product.

This recipe is easy to make and surprisingly requires no syrup. We did enjoy them with applesauce from last week's post.

There are two recipes with variations that can apply to either. I find the oatmeal pancakes are easier for me to digest as they contain less sugar than gluten free mixes and I don't get tired as easliy after eating them. I have stopped using maple syrup as well for the same reason. I don't want to eat a breakfast that has be nodding off half an hour to an hour after eating. Unsweetened applesauce is a delicious topper with pancakes. I used to give my kids this to avoid them having too much sugar in morning.

Enjoy!

Spiced Apple Pancakes

1 c. unsweetened organic applesauce or you can puree two apples with the peel (unless you are feeding a little person under the age of 2) in a food processor use a little water until you get consistency of applesauce
1 c. almond milk (easy almond milk 1 Tbsp. raw almond butter with 1 c. water, blend)
1 tsp. flax meal
2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. brown rice flour
pinch of ginger and nutmeg
1 tsp. Saigon cinnamon
2 Tbsp. cornstarch

Combine flax meal to cornstarch in a bowl, mix well and make a well in the center. Combine almond milk and applesauce, add to well and stir until mixed. Let rest for 5 minutes. Cook 1/3 c. of batter in oiled cast iron skillet over medium heat and flip when pancake looks dry. Continue until all batter is gone. Can be stored in refrigerator in storage baggie or container for a 3-4 days.
Serve plain or with unsweetened applesauce. Try one without any condiments, they are delicious as is!

Approximately 4-6 pancakes

Another Pancake recipe

1. almond milk
2 Tsp of flaxseeds
1 c. oatmeal
2 Tbsp of GF oats
1 Tbsp liquid coconut oil or light olive oil
1 Tbsp of vanilla extra


Place ingredients in order listed in a blender. Blend well. Over medium heat, heat your skilled and lightly oil using coconut oil. When hot place 1/3 c. of batter in pan, flip when top appears dry and I usually like to use my spatula to poke it and make sure it is cooked.
Repeat until batter is gone, this batter will keep in fridge for a few days.

Variations:
Apple Oatmeal Pancakes
Place same spices in apple pancakes in your blender and blend well. Use unsweetened applesauce instead of syrup. I like using applesauce like this and I find I don't have any carb crash later since I avoided the syrup, even using real maple syrup.

Blueberry Pancakes:
Place blueberries frozen or fresh on top of batter after you pour it, I strategically place them, but you can add as many or little as you like!

Chai Spiced:
1/2 tsp each of cinnamon, cloves, and 3/4 tsp. cardamon, add to blender and blend well.

Banana pancakes:
Use applesauce pancake recipe above but substitute 2 bananas that are ripe and mashed and add 1/2 tsp of nutmeg to spices listed. Or use oatmeal recipe (also add 1/2 tsp of nutmeg) and place small pieces of banana on top of batter in pan, chopped walnuts could also be added.

Chocolate Chip:
Dot batter with a few dark chocolate chips that are gluten and dairy free, mini chips can also be used.

Almond Cakes:
Use 2 tsp of almond extract instead of vanilla. Blanched, slivered almonds can add a nice crunch and texture. Sprinkle them on top of pancake batter in pan.

I usually make some pancakes and keep them in the fridge for a week. I usually eat two small ones for breakfast. They could also be frozen, just use parchment or wax paper between each pancake prior to freezing. Wrap well or use a sealed plastic bag. Warm in toaster oven. Avoid use of microwave, if it can kill your germs on a kitchen sponge what is it doing to the nutrients in your food?

Enjoy and Happy New Year!!






No comments:

Post a Comment